Imagination Station, Toledo’s Science Center, in Downtown Toledo is our region’s resource in interactive Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education. The science center provides a critical layer of science enrichment by serving as an educational partner for educators, schools, parents and the community. Each year, the science center welcomes over 200,000 visitors, and since opening in October 10, 2009, the science center has hosted over 1.4 million visitors. Around 40% of our visitors are Lucas County residents and over 28% of our visitors travel from Michigan with the rest of our visitors traveling from across Northwest Ohio and the country.
With hundreds of interactive exhibits, activities and demonstrations that teach vital science concepts, Imagination Station is a hub of learning that provides the tools necessary to thrive in the 21st century and that shapes future scientists and innovators. Imagination Station represents the idea that the sciences are more than theorems or formulas on a page, but are powerful concepts that can allow a wide-eyed child to ride a bike across a high wire and that teach a family about where their energy comes from.
Lucas County voters awarded Imagination Station a .17 mill property tax levy in 2008 and voted to renew the levy in 2012. This levy has allowed the science center to serve Lucas County as a cultural attraction within Downtown Toledo and through county-specific discounts, educational programming, community programs and blockbuster exhibitions. The same levy is up for renewal this November, find out more here.
Lucas County residents benefit from:
● Free Saturday admission for Lucas County kids, 12 & under
● Discounts on admission rates
● Discounts on school visits
The science center also brings interactive science education throughout Lucas County and the surrounding region with our Adopt-a-School program to provide field trips and educational outreach to schools with a financial need, grant-funded programs that serve preschool students and groups like the Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts, partnerships with other nonprofits throughout Toledo and interactive science activities at community events throughout the year.
In addition, we provide new experiences that both provide an educational benefit for Lucas County residents and also draw visitors from across Northwest Ohio and Michigan to downtown Toledo. Every year, we bring in temporary exhibitions including blockbusters like Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition and Dinosaurs Unearthed. The science center constantly works to improve our facility through new permanent additions as well. Since the last levy in 2012, we have added a new innovation-themed learning space, a new Simulator Theater film, improvements to our health-focused learning space and many new educational programs that address different topics and reach different audiences.
Imagination Station has been regionally and nationally recognized for their achievements in the greater Toledo area. Find out more here.
Serve our community by providing informal science education and fun in order to spark a passion for the sciences by combining interactive exhibits and educational programming.
To be a science center whose impact extends well beyond our walls and inspires innovation, equips our visitors with valuable life skills and prepares our community for our knowledge-based economy. We do this because we know that we can inspire people, that people shape the sciences and that the sciences will shape the world.
Our Team Values
- Service and collaboration – We help each other do whatever it takes to support the science center, one another and our community.
- Responsibility – We take ownership of our roles. We understand that every person makes a difference and that excellence inspires excellence.
- Empathy – We create an inclusive environment in which a wide variety of thoughts, opinions, backgrounds and perspectives are valued and respected.
- Passion – We create an environment where our enthusiasm is contagious and an environment in which learning is fun.
- Innovation – We foster a creative environment that is always searching for new ways to share interactive STEM education with the community.
Whom We Serve
- General Visitors – All who walk through the science center’s doors for education and entertainment. This encompasses families, community groups, schools, senior centers, scout troops and more.
- Members – Individuals and families who make a year-long investment in the science center by purchasing a membership, visiting the science center, attending special events and participating in educational programming. On average, members make up 27% of yearly attendance.
- Lucas County – Community members of the county that the science center calls home. This includes businesses, political and community leaders and residents, including the 32,142 kids who have participated in Lucas County Free Kids Days on Saturdays since 2009.
- Educators – Teachers who bring students on field trips, bring educational programming to their classroom, use the classroom materials developed by Imagination Station, participate in professional development through the science center and use the science center to share their work in the STEM fields. Those whose needs shape the education resources that Imagination Station creates.
- Extended Explorers – Anyone who benefits from Imagination Station’s many forms of outreach that extend beyond the physical building. This includes those who use online resources, view weekly science segments on local TV stations, bring Imagination Station’s educational programming to their community and those who the science center interacts with at festivals and events.
- Students – Any individual who uses the science center or science-center-produced materials to further their education in association with a school, homeschool curriculum, school project or independent study.
- Team – All paid team and volunteers who create and share science education with all of the science center’s constituent groups.
- Partners – Community partners, organizations and local media outlets who collaborates with the science center to bring science education to the community.
- Donors and supporters – Companies, organizations and individuals who provide resources to the science center in order to ensure that Imagination Station can continue to offer interactive and fun science education to the community.